- Online Services Pay Fines, Transcripts...
- Forms & Fees Forms, Fee Schedule...
- Self-Help Self-Rep, Info, FAQs...
- Divisions Civil, Criminal, Family...
- General Info Local Rules, ADA, Maps...
Home » Family Court Services
Family Court Services
Family Mediation & Orientation
- Mediation gives parents the opportunity to create a parenting plan for the care of their children after separation. A parenting plan contains decisions made by the parents or the court about the living arrangements and other regular contacts that the children will have with their parents after the separation or divorce.
There is no set limit on the number of mediation sessions needed to create a parenting plan that serves in the best interest of the children. If no agreement is reached over the course of the mediation process, and it appears that further sessions will be unproductive, the case is generally referred back to the court for a hearing and the judge will make a decision about an appropriate parenting plan.
Prior to the first mediation appointment, both parents are required to attend the Family Court Orientation and Parent Education Program, held in the Historic Courthouse, 825 Brown Street, Napa. Dates to attend are assigned when the moving papers are filed. This program is usually held every Thursday afternoon and lasts approximately three hours. Please call (707) 299-1240 for more information.
After both parents have attended the orientation and education program, a mediation appointment is scheduled.
If you should have any questions about scheduling an appointment, please call Family Court Services at (707) 299-1240.
- Family Court Services provides Family Court Orientation and Parent Education to separating and divorcing families for two reasons
To acquaint parents with Family Mediation and other Family Court procedures
To provide families with information about ‘co- parenting’ strategies and ways to increase productive communication after separation.
The curriculum covers a wide range of topics that include focusing on the Court process and how to most effectively work with the other parent toward an agreement that is intended to benefit all parties. We also provide information that focuses on the needs of children and ways the children are impacted by conflicted parents, as well as solutions for the parents to refocus on their children’s needs.
Family Court Orientation and Parent Education is held at Family Court Services, Historic Courthouse, Lower Level, 825 Brown Street, Napa, every Thursday afternoon and lasts approximately three hours. Check your orientation order for specific date, time and location information. Family Court Orientation and Parent Education are also offered in Spanish.
There is no charge to attend the Family Court Orientation and Parent Education program.
After both parents have attended Parent Orientation and Education, a mediation appointment will be scheduled.